Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom

I have been thinking a lot this week about motherhood and what it means exactly. My first baby turned one this week and it was also mothers day so naturally I have had my mind on it. The best way I can describe what motherhood means to me is with a story from my childhood, I have thought about this story a lot through the years but not until I became a mom myself did it have such deep meaning to me. There was a girl my age named Jenny she live three or four houses down from me and she played with me on the soccer team my mom coached. We must have been seven maybe eight and her parents were going through a divorce. One afternoon she was coming to get a ride with us to soccer practice and right when she came through our front door she ran right to my mom and started to cry. I have no idea what is was that day that she was so upset about but I remember looking at her and wondering what was wrong and why she was crying to my mom. I realize now that being a mother means being open and available to anyone in need of comfort and compassion. I have felt motherly love from many people who are not actual "mothers" and I hope in return I have given that love. So on mothers day I want to say Happy mothers day to all the women in my life who have "mothered" me in countless ways.

3 comments:

*Angie* said...

what a sweet little post.

Amelia said...

Does bossing you around and demanding that you bring me snacks count as "mothering"? If so, I accept your grateful thanks.

DiaNe said...

I totally agree. I have had so many "on call" moms throughout my life that have kept me afloat. I think that's why Hallmark sells "You're like a mother to me" cards come Mother's day.

You're doing a fantastic job.