Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running away


A few months ago I was feeling down and out. I had just had my third miscarriage and I was feeling so discouraged with my body. I hated feeling such sad thoughts about myself and I needed to do something that would make me love my body and myself more. Cheesy? Maybe, but necessary for my sanity.


I decided that I would run the Salt Lake city 1/2 marathon. I had five weeks to train and was probably crazy. Somehow the training really came together. I was able to work up to 10 miles with no injury or mishaps. While doing my long runs I thought a lot about my body and what it had been through. I found myself often times feeling so thankful for the body I have and for the ability to do things like run. Also a few prayers of thanks were said during the long quiet runs.


If you do not like to run it is hard to understand the desire to run 13.1 miles. Curtis will always think I am crazy for doing it, I feel crazy around mile ten, but finishing is one of the best feelings imaginable.


The race was fantastic, awesome course and I loved seeing so many people out running. My friend Jenny met me at mile 6 I was so grateful. Knowing that I had someone cheering me on was a huge motivator. And I got to ditch my jacket on her, thanks Jenny! And then seeing Kris my sister in law run and give me a big hug at the end was so fun! She is a great running partner even if she smokes me!


Of all the things I want to be or do in my life a runner is a big one, I am working on it! And I love my body for helping me become all the things I want to be.

13 comments:

Amelia said...

I heart you.
And sorry I didn't call.
I am ridiculously proud of you and your ability to run like the wind.

jessandbryce said...

You're working at it? It sounds like you've mastered it! That is really so amazing. I wish I had that dedication.

... said...

You are a rockstar. Way to go!

gilian said...

You have been through a lot. And while there is nothing I can do to help with that, I hope you can feel my arms around you offering a bit of comfort.

And also, hello--you got yourself ready and ran over 13 miles? Wow. This is my arms around you saying way to go girl.

jamie said...

When I live closer we should run together.

Lisa B. said...

I am one of those people who doesn't understand the running thing...but I am really proud of you--the motivation and dedication, and I am most proud of the mindfulness you bring to living your life. What a wonderful person you are!

Jill said...

You are my hero! One day let's run together.

..::k.toms::.. said...

Go Sophia!! You are not crazy. When you love something, you just got to go for it! And you did!
Sending you some positve and hopefully healing vibes your way.
Thanks for hosting bc. Drinking out of glass bottle made my whole week!

Unknown said...

You were fantastic! You looked amazing and upbeat and mile 6. Not one bit tired. Thanks for giving me some inspiration on Saturday morning. I loved cheering you on and almost tripping on my face when I saw you. It was fun. Congrats on a great race!

Unknown said...

Way to go! And the entire time I bet you were thinking of when you get to host something next :) You are awesome and SO cute! After you left my work I thought that Sophia is just so cute and fun!! I need to see more of her!

The Blanchard Family said...

I am so proud of you! I was hoping you ended up running it, but we hadn't talked a ton about it so I wasn't sure. I have been thinking of you tons and when I get off my death bed I will call you so we can catch up! I love you! Way to go!

Lesley said...

Yay Soph! Keep on runnin! I'm sorry I missed the race. Thank you for your example of perseverance!

Holly and Dave said...

i'm so proud of you! and for so many reasons. your strength- emotional, physical, spiritual- amazes me. love you.