Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lets just pretend this is healthy

Tonight in Baton Rouge I felt like a cake. After poking around in their cupboards I decided a pineapple upside down cake it should be. It was delish! And very simple to boot! So I decided to share it with my loyal following, my mom and my sisters (ha ha!) Here it is:

1/4 c butter (for melting)
2/3 c brown sugar
8 or 9 rings of pineapple
1 1/3 c whole wheat flour
1 c sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 c milk
1 egg
1/3 c shortening

Heat oven to 350 and melt 1/4 c butter in the pan, when butter is melted sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Arrange the pineapple rings over top. Mix remaining ingredients for about 3 minutes or until smooth. Pour the batter over that and bake for about 50 minutes. Here comes the trick, after you take the cake out of the oven take a serving platter (I used a foil covered cookie sheet for easy clean up) and place it on top, the flip! And you have a beautiful caramelized ooey gooey good cake! Ta da! And the whole wheat flour cut the sweetness just right so it was not sickeningly sweet. Try this cake, so easy and people will think your cool when you make it.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Mmmmmmmmm, cake. Very impressive, with the flipping technique! There's also a whole wheat pastry flour that is a teeny bit more finely milled than regular whole wheat flour--excellent for baking. Well done! Baking in a foreign land gets you extra points for difficulty.

Sophia said...

Do you always use such bubbly words like delish and ta da and the like? If so, have you seen my wife?

Rachel said...

SOunds yummy. Plus I DO think you are cool for making it, so there is a win-win for ya.