Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Hit!

I just LOVE when you make something that turns out to be a huge hit. I made this granola for valentines day and gave it to a few people, it has fast become my most requested recipes. This makes me laugh since i made it up in my head! My very own head! I have never made it the same way twice but it goes a little somethin like this:

I ALWAYS add:

8 cups rolled oats, not instant
3 cups roughly chopped whole almonds. I really like these chopped the old fashioned way with a knife, it is not quite a delicious if you use a food processor. I like the almonds in big pieces.
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup oil I have been using coconut oil and holy moly, it is perfect not to mention really good for you.
1/3 cup honey
some cinnamon (probably like 2 or 3 teaspoons)
a splash of vanilla

I SOMETIMES add:

craisons *these are good but I actually think these would be better just thrown in when you eat it.
Coconut creme spread * this is SO good added in. It is a spread I found a Costco it is Walls berry farm coconut creme spread, I searched high and low on the Internet to find a link for this stuff and had zero luck. It is all natural and has no corn sweeteners, it is amazeballs. I fear it is going to be one of those Costco treasures you only find once. You can eat it on anything and it is SO GOOD! Anyway...
Toasted coconut

I am GOING to add next time I make it:

Toasted coconut cashews * I got these at Costco today and what the hell, I was probably better off never knowing these existed. BUT how good will these be chopped up added to the granola?

How to bake:

Add all ingredients together in a huge bowl (this makes a ton!) except any craisons or toasted coconut. DO add the coconut creme spread. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stir and then bake for 20 more minutes. If you want it to be crunchier bake longer. The longer you bake the crunchier it is. I love that is makes a lot, it is a fun recipe to make and share.


How to eat your granola:

By the handful, delicious.
In a sandwich baggie on the go, Deacons favorite way.
In a bowl with coconut milk, my favorite. I add every fresh berry I can think of and a banana. SO GOOD.
On top of ice cream or yogurt.

I will say:

It is absolutely easier and much cheaper to buy granola at the store. This is absolutely more delicious and I love knowing exactly what is in the granola. I hope you make this and your life is forever changed.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

This post makes me want to make some granola. One of the most sublime granolas I ever made had dried strawberries and dried cherries in it. I never added flavorings, though--I will have to try that.

alesha said...

I am in love with how many times you mention coconut. Seriously. I love coconut. I need to make this asap! And it sounds like I also need a trip to Costco asap.

Amelia said...

Mmmm Granola. Need to make some of this.

Lesley said...

So good!