Sunday, November 13, 2011

What if.....

Oh those dreaded what ifs in life. Those thoughts that turn your thoughts upside down and all around. The thoughts that make you question every choice you have ever made.

Please humor me, I need a place to get rid of these what ifs.

What if the insemination does not work? Will I ever have another baby? Will I be letting my family down? Will I have a breakdown, can I just try again next month? Will the outcome be any different?

The insemination worked! What if I start to bleed like the time before? What if my HCG levels are low and keep dropping? What if they don't and I get to stay happy, elated, over the moon.

Levels are high, hope. Relief. Levels drop, levels rise. A roller coaster ride. I know at the point I need love and support, much like a text I have sent before I need just say something small and the support is overwhelming. What if I did not have the friends I do? What if I did not live where I live and have neighbors are friends who save me when I am drowning.

What if the doctor gives me the weekend to let my body have a miscarriage on it's own? In the past my body knows what to do. Still I go in on Monday and my body let me down, I have to get two shots that help to move the miscarriage along. What if the shot makes me sick/sad/overwhelmed? It does, but I get through. Of course I do because I have so much love around me, even if just my little home. What if I did not have Deacon, the what if that is too much.

What if the cramping I feel 5 days later is not normal? How much cramping is too much? I call the Doctor on call (Saturday) and he informs me that going dizzy, feeling hot and the pain spreading means it is too much. Go the ER at that point he says.

What if my prayer was not heard and answered? "Go to the ER, this will not get better at home"
What if I did not have friends I had a feeling to have Curtis call, I knew they would be home and take Deacon, all day if needed. It was needed and they did.

I am amazed by the human capacity to love, to help. I am humbled and grateful to the nurse who stroked my hair and hugged me while I sobbed after learning I needed emergency surgery. I am so very thankful to the competent doctor who reassured me it was the only choice and wanted to keep me safe, comfortable and really, alive. What if Curtis was not there to bless me and help me remember Heavenly Father loves me and is with me always.

The feelings I had after I woke from my surgery one fallopian tube short surprised me. Where is the doctor? I want to thank him. Does the nurse know I love her just by speaking to me in a calm, kind voice as she woke me form surgery?

Utah is such a incredibly beautiful place, it was comforting to wake up under 4 warm blankets and look out to an amazing blanket of snow. Where is Curtis? Was he scared and nervous for the hour I was put out? What if I did not have my husband who is the calm to my nervous?

What if I lived in a time where there was no loratab, morphine or Valium? No trained doctors to take care of me?

How wonderful to come home to a loving notes, treats and a clean house (my brother the house elf) What if he were not here to give me another blessing and say these words to me:

"Be overcome with joy for your husband and child. Heavenly Father is so pleased with how you are to Deacon. Take each day one at a time"

So while there are plenty of scary what ifs in my head, I am letting the ones I wrote here go. There will be lots of other what ifs in my life but like I was reminded today, take each day one at a time, let the what ifs I can, go.

What if at the end of the day I was not able to kiss Deacons soft face and have him reach to me, his mom, for a hug? So thankful as I lay in bed not able to sleep that I am here, still, even though I have three incisions in my stomach and one less fallopian tube I am blessed beyond measure. If chosen, I can focus on those what ifs that saved my life, and that is my choice.

14 comments:

The Blanchard Family said...

You are making the right choice indeed. You are loved beyond measure and Heavenly Father is there to wrap his arms tightly around you to let you know that. It is amazing how the most trying times in life bring the most insight and humility for good. I love you.

gilian said...

Dear, dear Sophie--I am so sorry you are going through such hard things. You are an amazing woman and incredible mom. I hope the best for you and your family always. xo

jessandbryce said...

Hey Soph. I have a big problem with "what if's" too. Sometimes I worry myself sick over things that may not/have not even happened yet. One day I came across a quote that hit home for me, "If you fear suffering, then you are already suffering from what you fear." I realized that by focusing so much time & energy on my fears it was as if they were happening even though they weren't, and I was bringing myself that pain. I try to remember that when I get distracted by those what ifs. I know that everything will work out for you guys. You're a great mom, & we will pray for you.

Jenny said...

I love you Sophia!!!! You are a wonderful wife and mother and an incredible friend. You are truly a blessing to everyone around you. I'm so glad the surgery went well.

Amelia said...

I am so so glad you are okay. The outpouring of love shown to you is just a reflection of the love you show to everyone else.

ABick said...

I am so very grateful that you are okay. It may be hard for you to believe, but it is because of the sisterly fights and disagreements we have that have made me the stronger person I am. You make me strong. You are such an inspiration in ways you can't imagine. The way you fight me and refuse to give up on me shows me how much love you have for not just me but for everyone. I love you so much and I am so sorry this is happening.

jamie said...

oh my goodness Sophia! I had no idea! I am so sorry you are going through this. What can I do?!

Holly and Dave said...

I wish I could say or do something to just make it all better, take away the pain, and show you the bright future ahead. But in the meantime I want to be there for you in any way I can. I'm so glad you are feeling the love from family and friends surrounding you. I'm so glad you're physically okay and pray for your heart to heal a little more each day . Love you.

..::k.toms::.. said...

Oh Sophia I am so sorry.
You are doing the right thing. Just take it one day at a time. As hard as it is, and as long as it takes, know that you have friends & family that will help you along the way.
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hate to see anyone struggle w/ infertility.
Heavenly Father loves you! He knows you are strong enough to endure these trials!

Karen S said...

I had no idea you were going through all of this. Why is life so hard some times?? I am so sorry. That little Deacon's face makes me smile every time I see a picture. How lucky you have it constantly around. Hang in there. Love you.

*Angie* said...

I sure love the Leasure fam. Especially you, of course. I'm glad you are ok, and sooo looking forward to our visit!

Annie @ Originate and Renovate said...

I feel a little like Annie on Bridesmaids, and I just want to write something to out-do all your other friends(insert "look" here) seriously though,You amaze me and I want to do ANYTHING I can to make this difficult time just a little easier. I love you with all my heart.

Skankstas said...

Sophia I am so sorry that you have gone through that. Life isn't fair and yet you still have such a good attitude. Get feeling better!

The Hungry Fashionista said...

I LOVE YOU!!!