Sunday, January 24, 2010

out with the old in with the new

This week while Curtis was out of town I took on a huge project of giving my oak kitchen cabinets a makeover. It was A LOT of work!Lucky for me I had lots of help. Thank you to all my girl friends who are better with a drill than I! Here they are before the big overhaul.
This is all I can remember form this week, rolling and painting for hours on end. The rest is a blur.
My little brother who is still in post missionary service mode helped me for hours and hours. I enjoyed spending time with him and chatting and reintroducing him to cafe rio and Costco hot dogs on our lunch breaks.
Curt's dad John took three of my cupboard doors and gave them new glass fronts, I think they turned out so beautiful! He is so handy and I glad to have his handiwork around my house.

My boring sort of out of place bread box got a touch of blue with a chalkboard front, now I love it. Who could not be happy with a blue bread box around?
Some of the other glass fronts John put in. I love being able to see my blue dishes and my prized tea pot.

I left the very top cabinets exposed so I could have some of my serving bowls and platters out to see. Overall it was a long hard project but I am so glad to have done it. One of the best things about buying Curt's grandparents house is knowing how happy it would make them that we love their house and that we try to make happy memories in it.

18 comments:

 Amy said...

gimme this kitchen. wanna come redo my apartment? i hear that's frowned upon, but whatev. i luff it. let's hate life together at the gym tomorrow and make fun of that bald guy that smells so bad every day.

Rachel said...

stop in the name of LOVE!! You should sumit this to designsponge online. They would eat this up!! That color blue on the breadbox is PERFECTION.

Heather & Josh said...

Soph it turned out beautiful. I'm sorry I didn't get to come up the other night. But I really do want to have an este pizza/movie date night with you soon. Please!!! I'm glad you ended up doing the bread box blue, your welcome by the way:), it adds the perfect touch and the chalkboard front is adorable. Congrats on a job well done.

The Blanchard Family said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed! Those look unbelievable! You are so talented. I can't wait to see them in person. . .I bet it really opens up your kitchen. LOVE IT and the hard work definitely paid off!

Lisa B. said...

So fresh and beautiful! I love this!

Amelia said...

Wonderful. You are so talented.

jamie said...

SO cute!!! I love it!

DiaNe said...

looks great!

Unknown said...

WOW... LOOKS SOOO MUCH BETTER. Good job!

Becky said...

So fresh and clean, I love it! Fabulous Hardware too.

Now I want to paint mine....

gilian said...

Welcome to the "Yes, you bet I painted my kitchen cabinets white" club. If only I'd thought to have someone replace a few of my panels with glass and a chalkboard and some color on the bread box...

Well done.

Larn said...

it's beautiful! i cannot wait for that menu box to read

clouds

or

home made oreos

just for me.

Lesley said...

That looks so amazing! I can't wait to see it in person!

Larn said...

ps come help me paint my gross apartment kitchen. thanks.

The Hungry Fashionista said...

This looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see it in real life tomorrow!
Such a talented cat you are.

Anonymous said...

SOPH.....I don't blog but once in a BLUE moon when I get on to read my FAVS.....YOUR KITCHEN is PHENOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW! If only I was as resourceful and amazing like you...I am not being dramatic...WOW! :) NICE WORK! Can't wait for the next themed event so I can scope it out! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Karen S said...

Love the colors. Looks great.

*Angie* said...

who drilled on all those hinges? haha. the final product turned out sooooo good! way to go.